Monday, April 6, 2015

#400 Bo Jackson

About the Front: The underbill of Bo Jackson's cap reads "BO". Short, sweet, to the point.

About the Back: Bo missed the entire 1992 season after undergoing hip replacement surgery due to a football injury.

Triple Play:

1. The most enduring part of Jackson's legacy as an athlete may be his prowess as a video game character. In his days as a running back for the Raiders, his 8-bit avatar from Nintendo's "Tecmo Bowl" game was so dominant he was known simply as "Tecmo Bo".

2. Two words: The. Throw.

3. Making good on a promise to his mother, Bo completed his bachelor's degree in Family and Child Development at Auburn in 1995 after hanging up his spikes.

11-Year-Old Kevin Says: I regret that I never got to see Bo play at the height of his athletic ability. I get the sense that highlight videos don't fully capture what he was all about.

Bill James Said: "The Sox elected to decline his option, leaving him free to pursue another team (Bo Knows Rejection)." Jackson caught on with the Angels in 1994, batting .279/.344/.507 in 75 games with 13 home runs. He chose to retire after that.

On This Date in 1993: April 6. Ken Griffey, Jr. smashes a three-run homer off of Jack Morris in his first at-bat of the season, and Randy Johnson strikes out 14 batters in eight innings as the Mariners trounce the Blue Jays, 8-1.

2 comments:

  1. "I regret that I never got to see Bo play at the height of his athletic ability. I get the sense that highlight videos don't fully capture what he was all about."

    I feel the same way about Mark Fidrych.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max - I'd say the same about Jim Palmer. I'd love to have seen his high leg kick in action.

    ReplyDelete