Wednesday, July 31, 2013

#47 Bob Scanlan

About the Front: The way Bob Scanlan's legs are cut off, it almost looks like he's surfing on the name bar.

About the Back: The only other players from the 25th round of the 1984 draft to make it to the majors were reliever Laddie Renfroe (4.1 IP for the Cubs in 1991), and first baseman Rod Brewer, who did not sign in 1984 and was taken in the fifth round by the Cardinals in 1987.

Triple Play:

1. Bob's full name is Robert Guy Scanlan, Jr.

2. The Brewers ran Scanlan out to the mound as a starter 14 times in 1995, despite some ugly results. He finished the year with a 6.59 ERA, capped by a disastrous final appearance on September 26 in which he surrendered nine runs in an inning and two-thirds against the Red Sox. He was touched for home runs by Dwayne Hosey, Reggie Jefferson, and John Valentin.

3. Bob is currently a radio color analyst for the San Diego Padres, and has his own blog where he interacts with fans.

11-Year-Old Kevin Says: When I was still in middle school, I'll admit that I enjoyed Chris Berman's shtick. Unlike "Boomer" himself, I outgrew the goofy nicknames and the bellowing. But even back then, I thought that Bob "Watergate" Scanlan was a pretty lame effort by Berman.

Bill James Said: "I don't think he has 'closer' potential, but suspect he will have a better year in middle relief." After going 4-5 with a 4.54 ERA (87 ERA+...100 is league-average) in 1993, Bob was traded to the Brewers, where he had a 2-6 record with a 4.11 ERA (122 ERA+) in a swingman role in 1994.

On This Date in 1993: July 31. King Baudouin I of Belgium dies unexpectedly of heart failure at age 62. He had no children, so he would be succeeded by his brother King Albert II.

2 comments:

  1. July 31, 1993 - My future bride and I went on our first date. She invited me to see the Orioles defeat the Red Sox in the Camden Yards skybox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She sounds like a keeper! Happy belated anniversary of sorts!

    ReplyDelete